Here are some tips for when your teenager becomes a driver. Your child is all grown up and preparing for his or her road test! Here at Capital Gate Insurance, we’re dedicated to supporting our customers throughout all phases of life. Inexperienced drivers are more likely to be involved in accidents and studies show that on average, teen drivers are more likely to speed and are more prone to distractions than adults. As a result, your car insurance rates will increase when you add a teen driver. Check out these tips to keep your young driver and your vehicle(s) out of harm’s way while saving you money on your insurance premium.
- If you own more than one vehicle, be sure to list your child as a driver on the vehicle with the most advanced safety features. This will not only keep your teen safer when they get behind the wheel; but will reduce the risk of property damage as well. Your insurance rates will certainly reflect that!
- Many insurance companies give discounts to teen drivers with good grades. It is thought that good students make better decisions, both inside and out of the car. They are also more likely to be at home studying than on the road. Ask your Capital Gate agent if your teen is eligible for a good student discount.
- For the best rates to new teen driver if they are getting their own vehicle, we generally recommend an inexpensive vehicle that you will only need liability coverage on to save the most on your insurance, all while your teen is gaining experience of driving on the road in a starter car.
Is your child taking the New York State driver’s exam?
Here are some safe driving tips to help your teen for their exam. The New York State driver’s exam is tough enough, so check out these tips for studying for and taking the exam from Capital Gate Insurance:
- Practice for the exam in the same vehicle you will be tested in. Testing in an unfamiliar vehicle puts you at a disadvantage.
- Review your driver’s manual. You may think you’re familiar with the rules of the road, but it doesn’t hurt to be extra sure!
- Make sure to get plenty of sleep the night before the exam. This will help you remain calm and alert.
- The details matter: when you’re nervous, it’s easy to forget the basics, but this can lose you major points on your driving exam. Take it one step at a time: make sure both you and your test administrator are wearing your seatbelts before you engage the ignition. Check your mirrors. Look before you pull away from the curb.
How can I save money on my insurance when my teenager begins to drive?
Here’s the bottom line. As a family owned and operated full-service insurance agency, Capital Gate is uniquely suited to providing you with the best coverage for the best cost. Our satisfied customers will tell you that not only do our rates beat the competition, but we do it with a personal touch. We’re not just licensed insurance agents, we’re also parents, and we know how stressful it can be when your child gets behind the wheel and we know the cost can vary from one insurance carrier to the next. When your child gets his or her driver’s license, as with any major life milestone, your insurance needs will change, so you should call your agents at Capital Gate for a free coverage review and together we can make the best plan for your situation. We look forward to helping you ensure your family has the best coverage for the best price! Call or click today to see why the competition just don’t stack up to Capital Gate insurance!